[plug] Multiple ethernet cards, same driver

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 16 09:08:44 WST 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 04:25, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Bernard Blackham wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:14:27PM +0800, John Usher (Maptek) wrote:
>> > Hmmm.... can you alias an ethX to a completely different name? That
>> > would be useful.... something like ifalias eth0 ethinet. ifalias eth1
>> > ethlocal. something like that...

>> ip link set eth0 name ethlocal

>> will do it :)
>
> Also, you can stick interface names and MAC addresses in /etc/mactab
> and then run 'nameif' to set the interface names automagically :-)

Great. I didn't even know of it's existence.

AFAICT, the default eth0, eth1, ... get assigned as the drivers are
loaded.

I'll have to play with it a bit... last time I tried interface name,
all the low-level stuff would still work, but the high-level, pretty
management tools broke as the names didn't fit the expected pattern.

> You can only rename an interface when it's down.

Well, giving it a proper name should cheer it up a bit. :-)