[plug] Annoyances

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jun 16 04:50:23 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 19:47, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Onno Benschop wrote:
>
> | I'm using gnome-terminal under Debian. When I run modconf, I get all
> | manner of accented A's, E's and O's, rather than the pretty lines I need
> | to see.
>
> I would suspect that this is a UTF-8 issue.  I see funny accented
> letters instead of arrows and lines and stuff when I use mutt over
> Putty - PuTTY expects ISO-8859-1 characters but it's actually getting
> UTF-8 ones.
>
> On the other hand, I'm also using Debian with the same locale and
> don't see accented letters.  (This is with xterm.  It looks much the
> same in gnome-terminal.)  I do see funny little boxes in the top line
> of the display though.

Ok, I also have funny little boxes in my xterm. And yes those are the
ones I also get in gnome-terminal, alternated with all manner of crap
and I don't see the modconf title. (I didn't know there was one until I
launched xterm :-)

In addition. If I do man apt-get, I don't see the hyphen between the
words using xterm for the first paragraph, but I do see that in
gnome-terminal - there was a time when the - never showed up in man
pages, very exciting trying to learn command line options - but that now
seems to work.

Any suggestions?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..