[plug] Notebooks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 16 14:01:06 WST 2004

Ben Jensz wrote:

> But if you're buying a new laptop, your choices are like a P4-M of
> anywhere from 2.4Ghz through to 3Ghz, whereas the P-M are only just up
> to 2Ghz.

Don't forget the P4 Celery-based laptops many people buy. Slower, more
power hungry, _and_ hotter than the P4-M. Considerably cheaper too,
admittedly.

> (and you can get the ULV 1Ghz ones as well)... so with current
> laptops, there is no clock to clock comparison, as the P4-M is clocked
> faster.  The other thing is that the P4-M laptops are usually heavier
> and I'd guess probably run hotter as well.....

Oh, they _definitely_ run hotter. I've used a friend's P4-M and found
that I needed to have a cushion on my lap to use it. It didn't help that
  the drivers didn't provide any method for the user to force the
cooling fan on, so it turned on the fan when it felt _it_ was too hot.

Still, that was nothing compared to the early G4 Ti PowerBooks. *uggh*.
Nice machines, but _wow_ they ran hot.

> If I was buying now for myself, I'd be buying a P-M based laptop without
> a doubt.

Yep. With plenty of RAM and the fastest laptop disk on the market. I'm
becoming more and more aware of how little CPU power actually matters
for many tasks, with RAM and a good fast disk being much more important.

--
Craig Ringer