[plug] Notebooks

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Jun 16 13:57:06 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Compared to a P4 of what clock speed? Clock-for-clock the Pentium M is
> in my experience _much_ faster than the P4 or P4M. It's also possible
> to use them as laptops not
> giant-heatsink-on-heat-insulating-pad-on-lap-tops.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many of the P4 'desknotes' with
> desktop P4 chips in them outperformed the Pentium-M based machines by
> a lot. The P4m probably does in the high-clocked versions, too, but
> the lower clocked P4m and all Celery chips should probably be
> outperformed by the Pentium M.
>
> Of course, that's only judging by about 6 laptops I've worked with,
> some briefly, so it's far from hard evidence of anything.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

But if you're buying a new laptop, your choices are like a P4-M of
anywhere from 2.4Ghz through to 3Ghz, whereas the P-M are only just up
to 2Ghz (and you can get the ULV 1Ghz ones as well)... so with current
laptops, there is no clock to clock comparison, as the P4-M is clocked
faster.  The other thing is that the P4-M laptops are usually heavier
and I'd guess probably run hotter as well.....

If I was buying now for myself, I'd be buying a P-M based laptop without
a doubt.

/ Ben