[plug] Notebooks

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 16 14:13:28 WST 2004

In message <1087365218.1924.8.camel at localhost>
on Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:53:38PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> I honestly thing they should sell laptops that don't even have batteries
> and rely either solely on AC or let you put a universal battery into the
> USB port.

?! I'm going to politely pretend you didn't say "USB port" and simply
point out that one of the conveniences of a laptop (except when you're
using it to give an overhead presentation) is that you don't have have
bits and pieces and wire dangling off it. It's portable and self-
contained. (Unless you have a disability that prevents you from using
the trackpad, of course.) In the current day, people are still concerned
by the "battery life" of laptops, which I think indicates that they tend
to use them without AC power.

(And although I've made my point already, can you imagine going back to
the days when mobile phones were just handsets tethered to a large bad
on the ground? What about digital cameras? Portable music players?
Calculators?)

In message <20040616055348.GE17480 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:53:48PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> In message <1087365218.1924.8.camel at localhost>
> on Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:53:38PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> | But then again I also believe you should be able to refill your
> | printer the same way your refuel your car.
>
> With some inkjet printers and most lasers, you can.

Hmmm. I can imagine the folklore now: days when printers were as large
as cars, so you'd taken them to the service station (using a trunk)
where they'd be refilled by genuine service station attendants (none of
this "self service" stuff) and "lp: printer on fire" implied halon ;-)