[plug] Notebooks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 16 14:31:20 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
>
> | > Maybe we'll have to start replacing the screen every 2 years when we
> | > replace the battery.
> |
> | I honestly thing they should sell laptops that don't even have batteries
> | and rely either solely on AC or let you put a universal battery into the
> | USB port.
>
> What exactly is the point of a laptop with no battery!?  Having to lug
> a separate battery around with you would be a bit of a pain, too.
> (For that matter, I'd be surprised if USB would be remotely practical
> for putting power /into/ a laptop.)

Well, on the theory that USB HDDs etc can draw power over the bus,
perhaps it could be with some changest to the laptop USB chipset.
Personally I suspect it'd have to involve changes to the standard too,
given how USB draws a clear distinction between host and target devices.
That's another reason why FireWire would be more practical for that sort
of thing - it's far less strict about what a host and a target are (look
at the 'target disk mode' on Mac machines! Maybe we'll be able to get
that with EFI BIOSes... ).

> | But then again I also believe you should be able to refill your printer
> | the same way your refuel your car.
>
> With some inkjet printers and most lasers, you can.

Fewer and fewer lasers, sadly. The laser manufacturers are _rapidly_
getting on the "let's gouge the user for all we can on supplies" train.
Our Xerox workgroup printer here has ID chips on the toner carts and
refuses to accept (a) carts not made by Xerox and (b) carts that have at
any stage ever been empty. I gather people like Brother have been doing
this in home/small-office lasers for quite some time.

--
Craig Ringer