[plug] Notebooks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 16 14:27:11 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

> I honestly thing they should sell laptops that don't even have batteries
> and rely either solely on AC or let you put a universal battery into the
> USB port.

Interesting. Anything like that would drive me _nuts_ personally, as I
like to carry as little as possible around with me and my laptop is
quite big and chunky enough all by its self. I also use it on the bus
and in other places where external devices would be very inconvenient. I
can see the utility of something like that for people who only use their
laptop when set up somewhere, though.

I doubt the USB standard could permit enough power draw. I suspect
FireWire would be more able to handle the load - I think it permits
considerably more power draw than USB. Perhaps still not enough, though.

Anyway, I'm keeping my internal battery. I fully intend my next laptop
to have two internal battery bays - it's not like I ever use the CD-ROM
anyway, and hardly ever use the floppy drive.

--
Craig Ringer