[plug] Sound card problem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 16 16:43:16 WST 2004

Jim wrote:

> When I boot debian unstable with 2.4.26 I get
>
>    starting ALSA sound driver (version none):
>           modprobe: can't locate module snd
>
> and kde gives the error
>
>    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
>
> What package(s) am I missing, or what option in 'make xconfig' did I miss?

Unless ALSA was merged into 2.4 after I stopped using it, you'll need to
patch the kernel with the ALSA drivers as the option won't even be there
otherwise. I'm assuming you've used vanilla sources - if you're using
Debian sources, then I expect it'll be included and you'll just need to
make sure to compile the ALSA drivers (near the OSS drivers in the config).

Alternately, you could just load the appropriate OSS driver and use that.

--
Craig Ringer