[plug] Sound card problem

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jun 16 16:48:52 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

| you'll need to patch the kernel with the ALSA drivers as the option
| won't even be there otherwise. I'm assuming you've used vanilla
| sources - if you're using Debian sources, then I expect it'll be
| included

Wha'?  As far as I know, ALSA doesn't require patching the kernel, and
Debian's kernels didn't have any special ALSA magic in them.
Unfortunately the ALSA web site is down at the moment so I can't
check, but I think you need to have sound support in the kernel but no
specific sound drivers; and then you'll need to download the ALSA
driver source code and compile that -- it'll produce a bunch of
modules specific to whatever kernel you're using.

Or as you said, use OSS, it's easier :-)

Cameron.