[plug] BIOSes, >32Gig HDDs & Linux

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jun 17 23:16:45 WST 2004

I've freed up a 40Gig HDD from one of my PCs, and stuck it in my home
server for more archive space. However, the PC BIOS spat the dummy at it
until I added the jumper to "limit HDD to 32Gig". It's an old Celeron
433MHz, and I guess the BIOS doesn't like drives bigger than that.

So I booted up the system, and Linux happily reports that, yes, it's a
33.8Gig HDD - with a 39Gig partition on it! However, it DOES give I/O
errors when accessing parts of it - so I guess it isn't quite usable
as-is...

Is it possible to access the full size of this drive from within linux,
without the BIOS support? If so - how?
Or do I have to either a) attempt to find a BIOS upgrade, or b) just
accept I now have a 32Gb HDD?

And on a rather related topic - the motherboard is a "Promedia" board,
but Googling on the model number only comes back with "Daewoo" boards.
Does anyone know if Promedia changed their name to Daewoo, or is this a
rather amazing coincidence?

Thanks...

: Web Systems Administrator      -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :