kernel 2.6.6 - was Re: [plug] Sound card problem

nofixed nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Jun 18 20:36:05 WST 2004

I am ***not*** having fun anymore...

>Since you are running Debian, you can make your life much easier by
>apt-installing kernel-package and running
>
>make-kpkg kernel_image
<snip>
> - Matt

Thanks Matt.  I will give it a go.  I'm not having much joy otherwise.

The littany continues...
Once I installed 2.6.6 and got kde running, I could not go back to
kde under 2.4.26.  Text mode was ok.

I decided that if modules were not being loaded I would build without
them.  The unresolved references went away but i still had problems.
Still no sound.  The kernel is not finding the hardware.  Windows XP
does, so there is no problem with hardware.

I could no longer use a console in kde.  I got the window, but no
shell was started.  I could start a shell buffer in emacs, but every
shell prompt was prefixed with a message that it could not find the
terminal characteristics.  su was rejected - it has to be run in
(on?) a terminal.

Then I ran apt-get upgrade.  That downloaded 204 packages.  It fixed
the console problem, but broke X.
apt-get dist-upgrade acquired another 254 files but did not fix X.  I
had to abort the wwwoffle script because it kept repeating the same
question.   Then kaffe-common kept aborting 'apt-get -f install'.  I
finally tried 'dpkg purge kaffe' and was able to proceed.

I am getting the following from 'startx':
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Jun 18 19:00:22
2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Skipping
"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o":  No
symbols found
Skipping
"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_norm.o":  No
symbols found
Skipping
"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_xform.o":  No
symbols found
Skipping
"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_vertex.o":  No
symbols found
(EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No
symbols found
(EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXMalloc from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXFree from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXLastContext from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a is unresolved!
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA XFree86 driver not
found)
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0

I'm about to give up and start from scratch again.  I thought I was
making progress, but each thing I try seems to create more problems.

I was not initially using apt-get due to inexperience and lack of
confidence in it.  I am using it now, but find it less than
reliable...
I'm sure *it* is reliable, just the scripts it gets are problematic.

----
Hands were created for backrubs.
  Anything else you can do with them is a bonus!