Programmes vs Data [was: Re: [plug] Community Seminars]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 19 16:23:52 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
| [...a lot of sensible stuff...]

| > | Nor are TeX and Docbook, strictly speaking.
| > I'm pretty sure that XSL (which Docbook is written in)
|
| (Actually, DocBook is not written in XSL.)

(Isn't it?  Either you're being terribly pedantic about what Docbook
is, or I'm just plain wrong... I was under the impression that Docbook
is a collection of XSL transforms to convert XML into HTML, TeX, man
pages, plain text and God knows what else?)

Arie Hol wrote:

| A program is a series of instructions which are understood (carried
| out) by a computer, regardless of whether it is compiled or
| interpretted.

Surely by this definition, an HTML file (or even a simple text file)
could be considered to be a programme, consisting of instructions to
display words on a screen in a particular way?

Cameron.