[plug] Gmail Accounts

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jun 21 12:23:08 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
> If your e-mail is interesting to advertisers or the US government, you
> get to invite more people to join Gmail!! ;-)

Well, even if Google doesn't want that to be an issue, I'm sure that
sooner or later they'll have some people on their door with a copy of
the PATRIOT act and a warrant.

> But seriously...some
> people have written nice things about its interface and features, but I
> find it hard to imagine precisely that those things are, and how they
> differ from normal mail readers, without seeing it with my eyes. I guess
> someone, somewhere, probably has some good screenshots or something. I
> haven't been interested enough to look, as there are some overriding
> reasons why I will be leaving my e-mail exactly the way it is.

Me too. I'm not convinced any web based interface that has to work
within the limitations of current browser technology can possibly come
close to a good IMAP client :-) . On the other hand, a good IMAP client
is ... mighty hard to find. They all seem to suck in one way or another
(bad interface or bad IMAP support usually). Even so, not being web
based seems a major advantage.

--
Craig Ringer