[plug] Gmail Accounts

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 13:13:06 WST 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 12:23, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Me too. I'm not convinced any web based interface that has to work
> within the limitations of current browser technology can possibly come
> close to a good IMAP client :-) .

Current browsers have the technology, although it's not exactly
well-structured, documented, etc... Current web programmers either choose not
to use the features, or wouldn't have a clue how to. There's always that
issue of compatability.

And unfortunately, the weakest link in standards & feature compliance is also
the most widely used...

> On the other hand, a good IMAP client
> is ... mighty hard to find. They all seem to suck in one way or another
> (bad interface or bad IMAP support usually).

Agreed. I use Thunderbird at home - but it has some quirks which bug the heck
outta me. I use kmail at work - but sorely miss T's quicksearch.

> Even so, not being web
> based seems a major advantage.

How so?
Of course, it depends on usage patterns, but I've found Gmail at home over a
modem, more usable than Thunderbird+IMAP. As someone with a lot of E-mail,
who likes access to it from all sorts of strange places, Webmail is that
little more accessible than IMAP.

The main disadvantage/complaint I have about Gmail interface-wise is you have
to use a TEXTAREA field for composing E-mail. Ugh! ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |