[plug] Gmail Accounts

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 12:19:19 WST 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 11:54, Simon Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:44 am, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > I logged in this morn to find Gmail have graciously allowed me to invite
> > a couple more people. Are there any PLUGgers who're really keen (or
> > moderately interested) in getting an account?
>
> Can anyone actually explain to me what the big attraction is?
> People were paying for gmail accounts on ebay? why?

I guess if you've been stuck with Hotmail or Yahoo, Gmail would be unto the
Holy Grail. No crappy low quota, and discrete Ads. And that's ignoring the
nicer interface.

> How does it differ from normal webmail, apart from all the advertising?

 *Massive quota
 *The "tagging" instead of "folders" IS more useable (IMHO)
 *The advertising is Google-style text ads. I don't even really see them
myself...
 *It behaves more like a local mail client than a crappy web form. Lots of
DHTML, and just reloading bits of the page (I haven't looked under the bonnet
for specifics, but I've used similar techniques myself on occasion). It's
quite snappy.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |