[plug] Gmail Accounts

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 12:26:38 WST 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 11:54, Simon Scott wrote:

> How does it differ from normal webmail, apart from all the advertising?

Sorry - should've finished my list before sending. A few other nice features I
like:
  *Nice "threading" of message threads. Other mailers can thread, but this has
been the cleanest implementation I've seen. Opening a "conversation" lists
all past messages with "tabs". Already read messages are hidden (openable by
clicking the tab), while new messages are expanded. If there's LOTS of
messages, then for most read messages a very thin tab is shown (no text
label).
  *Message list view shows the first snippet of the conversation. (It's
useful!)
  *HTML messages have inline images OFF (a good thing), but they can be
quickly enabled by a single click (a good thing - sometimes I want the
images)
  *Easy Spam Filtering - probably Bayesian. Not a biggie for me, since my
existing mail system has pretty comprehensive filtering, but it's well
implemented.
  *Context sensitive Ads. As mentioned, my brain filters them, but my Wife
likes this feature. Several times she's had Emails (legit) talking of
products - and the ads have been links to the product home pages.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |