[plug] Gmail Accounts

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 13:51:29 WST 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 12:26, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200406211219.19794.T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au>
>
> on Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:19:19PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> >  *The "tagging" instead of "folders" IS more useable (IMHO)
>
> Yeeeeeeeah,...but what is "tagging" (I guess it means something else in
> Gmail compared to what it means in mutt)??

Tagging is, well, tagging. I suspect it's similar - but what you DO with it is
more versatile? Actually, they call them "Labels". ^_^

You can either manually tag a message, or use a Filter to tag the message. You
can browse messages all with a certain tag by clicking the tag to the left.
It behaves quite similar to a Folder - except it's more a filter than a
folder.

A tagged message will also show up in your Inbox - until you Archive it. Once
Archived, it's accessible in the Label-specific view, but not in the Inbox.

The Filters are quite simple, yet powerful. For example, most noisy mail lists
I have with their own Label, and have it set up to Auto-Label AND Archive,
which means it never shows up in the Inbox, but is accessible under the
Label. The list of Labels include a number, being the count of unread
messages.

So I can happily ignore a ML, then open up the Label, select a bunch of
messages, Trash 'em, report as Spam, etc...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |