[plug] buying a new printer

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Mon Jun 21 14:38:12 WST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "johnmorcos" <johnmorcos at westnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:56:10 +0800
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: [plug] buying a new printer

> my epson stylus 680 has died at home and im thinking of getting a new
> printer. i usually have this one connected to my dads windoze xp box
> as hes the printing type.
>
> i want to get a printer that is compatible with my mandrake 10.0 box.
> im looking at the canon bubble jets any ideas which printer will be
> compatible or will it work if just share it from the windoze box and
> then run across the lan to my linux box

Canon do not make drivers available for linux. There is a company in Germany that makes Canon drivers for linux, but they are NOT free. My experience with these drivers is that they print okay, if you like everything printed at slightly the wrong angle. Check out linuxprting.org and buy from a company that supports linux. Canon doesn't, and I found this out the hard way.