[plug] buying a new printer

Pete Blackhouse pete.blackhouse at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 13:22:11 WST 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 14:38, Ari Finander wrote:
> Canon do not make drivers available for linux. There is a company in
> Germany that makes Canon drivers for linux, but they are NOT free. My
> experience with these drivers is that they print okay, if you like
> everything printed at slightly the wrong angle. Check out linuxprting.org
> and buy from a company that supports linux. Canon doesn't, and I found this
> out the hard way.

That used to be the case, but not so much anymore.

I recently reached the end of my tether with my Epson - it wastes so much ink
it was costing me a fortune. I went to PLE and bought the cheapest printer in
the shop - a Canon i250 - which cost about the same as two Epson ink
cartridges.

I downloaded the Linux drivers from here:

http://www.canon.co.nz/products/printers/colour_bj_printers/i250_drivers.html

and installed them. They come as RHL RPMs, but they slotted into my SUSE-9.1
system without any trouble. Restart CUPS, set up the printer with YaST and it
just worked(TM). That was as close to out-of-the-box Linux printing as you'll
get! You also get a GTK utility which allows you to select paper type, clean
the heads, etc., and a monitor utility, just like under Windows.

Canon might have been slow to the Linux party, but they deserve credit where
it's due. Anyone who wants a cheap (but surprisingly good) colour inkjet
should definitely look at the Canon i250.