[plug] Mailbox speeds

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jun 21 16:04:04 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:

> This has nothing to do with IMAP, or Cyrus, but it does have to do with
> mailbox speeds, so I'm just going to continue this thread...
>
> I have my email stored on my drive. There is 1.4Gb of it. It is stored
> in 616 directories and 5007 files and it uses whatever format Evolution
> uses. I'm using Evolution v1.4.6

1.4.5 here, but I often use Mozilla for PLUG for various (somewhat odd)
reasons.

> Launching Evolution takes the better part of five minutes and finding
> things can only be achieved with a grep.

Interesting. I have 1.8GB in a whopping 153224 files and it takes < 1
second. I'm using Cyrus and IMAP though ;-)

At least with IMAP, Evolution SELECTs every mailbox when its launched.
This is why it can take a minute to finish connecting when running IMAP
over a low bandwidth connection. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find
that it was reading indexes of every mailbox if its working off local
storage. Evolution is definitely _not_ an efficient program.

What mailbox format are you using? (Sorry, I've never used evo with
local mailboxes so I'm not even 100% sure what it uses).

Have you tried backing up then aiming a different mail app at your mail
folders to see what happens?

--
Craig Ringer