[plug] RAID, and what it can't solve

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Jun 22 10:53:19 WST 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:32:39AM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, quoth Trent Lloyd:
>
> > i beleive zombie recently had a tripple disk failure in a raid-5
> > ouch heh
>
> yup, 3 out of 7 disks died at the same time, with a fourth one dying soon
> after.

If the disks were bought at the same time in the same batch, then
isn't this what quality control is all about? ;)

Seriously, I would use disks at least from different batches,
perhaps a few months apart to avoid occasions exactly like this.

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>