[plug] ADSL - filters/splitters

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 07:52:15 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 21:17, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 21:04, Arie Hol wrote:
> > I am considering my options for a change to ADSL.

<snip>

> > I would need too many of the plug-in type, which I'm told will degrade the quality of the service.
> >

> How many do you need? I believe they each drain a small amount of
> electricity from the line. To many and the phone doesn't ring. I heard
> somewhere that the recommended maximum was 4.
> > Is this correct ?
> >
> I'll let the other eyes on this list say yay or nay.

When I was looking into this I was told not to try more than two or at
most three inline filters because it degrades the quality of the ADSL
signal and may cause random dropouts.

> > The only information I can get says about $250-$300 is what it would cost for a hard-wired
> > solution.
> >
> Most of that would probably be labor. I doubt a splitter would cost more
> than $50.

I had to get a central splitter last christmas in sydney and it cost me
almost $100 including a decent length of cat 5e cable.  From memory it
had one unfiltered and four filtered lines.

> > I would prefer a cheaper option

Wouldn't we all?

<snip>

Tim Bowden