[plug] ADSL - filters/splitters

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Wed Jun 23 09:13:09 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 21:04, Arie Hol wrote:
> I am considering my options for a change to ADSL.
>
> Can any body give me an indication of the best/cheapest way of installing a hard wired solution
> rather then using "plug-in type" filters/splitters ?

http://www.westnet.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/hardware.shtm
Central Filter/Splitter available from Dick Smith for about $40. The
$200 cost is the cost of the technician to install it and to maybe
install an unfiltered line for your modem.

> I would need too many of the plug-in type, which I'm told will degrade the quality of the service.
>
> Is this correct ?

I don't think so. I don't think it makes a difference but having never
installed more than two concurrent filters I have no real experience if
3 or more will work. It is by far simpler, to get a professionally
installed splitter done once. Otherwise you will need to filter every
single line including your alarm and fax etc. When I am explaining ADSL
nowadays this is the point people realise its going to cost.

Kind regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>
Linux Information Technology