[plug] ADSL - filters/splitters

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Jun 23 09:21:16 WST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:41:28 +1000 Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 23:56, Harry wrote:
> > We couldn't get our ADSL running through a
> > line filter at Computer Angels and had an in-line filter installed
>
> Uhm, I'm taking this to mean that you plugged the modem into the filter,
> which I'm sure you didn't mean, because the filter is for telephones,
> not for the ADSL modem....

Correct. Bad english. I do know how to wire it :-) But unlike having:

phone socket ----- double adaptor -------- adsl modem

                          ------- little line filter ----- phone(s)

the hardwired unit has three sockets (or krones for hardwiring):

------ pair in from telstra ------ uber filter ---- adsl modem

                                       --------- phone(s)

I looked at the PCB while the back was off (as you do) but I didn't pay
enough attention to see if the circuit was straight through between the
telstra line and the adsl modem. As well as having larger components (this
must be better :) I'm wondering if the uber filter has some high pass
signal conditioning to improve the adsl signal. Don't quote me; wild
speculation.

Tim B said his unit cost $100. I think ours was $45 and is a plastic wall
mount box about 100mm(w) x 50mm(h) x 30mm(d).

I'd be surprised if they weren't getting cheaper. If anyone asks Lindsay's,
could they tell the list ?

Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/