[plug] [OT] Australian Spam Act

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Jun 23 10:48:22 WST 2004

Alex Polglaze wrote:

> Yes, a copy of the Act sitting on my desk. If you publish your e-mail
> address in the white pages, on business cards etc., then unless you
> include the words "no spam", it is legitimate to receive unsolicited
> e-mails related directly to your work or employment. However, if you
> publish your e-mail address it is also possible to receive spam from
> organisations that generate their list manually, by reviewing websites
> etc. (ref Spam Act 2003: A practical guide for business, page 10 "What
> about address-harvesting software?")
>
> Alex Polglaze

But wasn't the email address involved in the first question wholly and
solely a personal email address and not advertised for business purposes
at all?

So it still doesn't give them an excuse... there still is no prior
business relationship.  They could've picked the email address off of a
mailing list web archive for instance - I don't see how in any way that
could be seen as being a prior business relationship in any way, shape
or form.

/ Ben