[plug] [OT] Australian Spam Act

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Wed Jun 23 10:36:17 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:

>>No, this is where the implied consent comes from. It is considered that you have
>>an existing relationship because they have you on their list.
>

> Uhm, have you got anything to back that up, because using that standard,
> getting data from a web-site, they visited your site - or getting it
> from the white-pages, they looked it up, would constitute an existing
> relationship.
>
> Thus everyone is free to send anyone spam.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this is not the intent of the SPAM act, but I'm
> happy to be corrected.

Yes, a copy of the Act sitting on my desk. If you publish your e-mail address in
the white pages, on business cards etc., then unless you include the words "no
spam", it is legitimate to receive unsolicited e-mails related directly to your
work or employment. However, if you publish your e-mail address it is also
possible to receive spam from organisations that generate their list manually,
by reviewing websites etc. (ref Spam Act 2003: A practical guide for business,
page 10 "What about address-harvesting software?")

Alex Polglaze