[plug] Top posting?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Jun 23 11:46:51 WST 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:40:17PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <20040622093210.GD25291 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
> on Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:32:10PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > Steve Boak wrote:
> > | I had no idea if my mailer (kmail) was set to top-post by default, so I
> > | thought I would reply to find out. The only 'default' I can see is that the
> > | cursor is on the top line of the quoted message
> >
> > FWIW my Mutt does this too.
>
> My version of mutt invokes vim, and the cursor remains at the top so
> that I can go down and trim out the parts that I don't want to quote.
> You could instead have vim invoked so that the cursor went to the bottom
> (i.e. `vim +`). If you mean that you have your headers show up by
> default when you edit, you could either turn off the editing of
> headers or perhaps invoke vim along the lines of (untested):
>
> set editor="vim +...your usual options... +/^$"

I have:

set editor="/usr/bin/vim -c 'set tw=68|/^To: '"

which takes me to the To: line, and I've grown into a habit to press
A to start editing which takes me to the end of the line.

Keystrokes to skip past headers could be just '}' (but this would
advocate top posting), so perhaps 'G{' would be more appropriate (to
skip to just above the signature :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>