[plug] Top posting?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 22 17:40:17 WST 2004

In message <20040622093210.GD25291 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:32:10PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Steve Boak wrote:
> | I had no idea if my mailer (kmail) was set to top-post by default, so I
> | thought I would reply to find out. The only 'default' I can see is that the
> | cursor is on the top line of the quoted message
>
> FWIW my Mutt does this too.

My version of mutt invokes vim, and the cursor remains at the top so
that I can go down and trim out the parts that I don't want to quote.
You could instead have vim invoked so that the cursor went to the bottom
(i.e. `vim +`). If you mean that you have your headers show up by
default when you edit, you could either turn off the editing of
headers or perhaps invoke vim along the lines of (untested):

set editor="vim +...your usual options... +/^$"

> | And does it mean I am in the minority if I admit to *reading* my
> | reply to make sure it makes sense before sending it?
>
> I do that too.  If only to avoid certain people getting creative when
> they quote me :-P

Harry, he's talking about you again! ;-)