[plug] buying a new printer

Pete Blackhouse pete.blackhouse at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 23 15:47:51 WST 2004

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 13:31, Chris Griffin wrote:
> And what about the cost and type of cartridges (ie are they seperate
> colours RGB)?
> Were you using the genuine Epson carts?

Yes, I was using genuine Epson consumables. I print photos on it and I need
accurate colour matching. It's still a fine photo printer.

An Epson colour cartridge from PLE was $36 the last time I bought one. For the
Canon they're $7, although that is a "compatible" cartridge. Genunine ones
were $12 IIRC.

The problem with the Epson is the amount of ink it wastes. Each time it prints
a page after sitting idle for a day, it churns the ink over, and that process
wastes some. Also, the black head nozzles continually clog up, when mean it
has to be cleaned. The cleaning process can't be done on one cartridge, it
has to be done on both. More colour ink wasted. Earlier this year I put a new
colour cartridge in it, and 2 months later I replaced that colour cartridge
without having printed a single page of colour output! At $36 a time that is
not on.

The Canon cost $85 and prints letters and other plain documents as well as the
Epson. At least, I can't see any difference between the two machines. And
since the Canon drivers were trivial to install and as well featured as the
Windows version, the Canon gets my recommendation. :o)