[plug] laptop screen/keyboard/mouse 2 control the server?

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Jun 23 18:56:30 WST 2004

Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> I'm imagining here com 1 looped to com 2 and a serial -> telnet widget,
> which would be great for debugging boot proble.... oh wait :(

Weeeeell.. I was talking about those little boxes about the size of a cigarette packet that have a
DB9 on one end and an RJ45 on the other. I used to build them. If they contain a decent scrollback
buffer they are just *perfect* for capturing oops on a serial console remotely.

"Hey, the server has gone down!"
<tap tap tap, telnet, login>
"Oh, it looks like there has been an overflow of the poofle valve, the kernel has panicked. Let me
do a remote alt-sysrq-B and reboot the box"

Priceless.

Brad