[plug] [OT] iiNet, ADSL, & Westnet

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jun 24 14:45:36 WST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Scott Middleton wrote:

> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:48:47 +0800
> From: Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>
> To: plug list <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
> Subject: RE: [plug] [OT] iiNet, ADSL, & Westnet
>
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 12:44, Bret Busby wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Richard Henry wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > > I send the email at about 1am Sunday morning.  By 9:30am Sunday Westnet
> > > had responded.  iiNet responded on *Thursday*, and Arachnet never
> > > responded.  Guess who I went with?
> > >

> > In October last year, I sent a couple of emails with queries, one each
> > to Westnet sales and domains, and got no acknowledgement or response
> > for either query.
> >
> You forgot to mention the WestNet reseller who spent time on the phone
> discussing the options with you! They don't get payed unless they make a
> sale. :)

I have not forgotten your advice from the time, Scott.

I had to phone Westnet, involving a number of phone calls, due to
their failure to either acknowledge or respond to my email queries,
apart from phoning you, at the time, to obtain the information and the
response that was given to me.

It is important to remember that, in using email for such queries, a
person can take a bit of time in composing the email query, and make
sure that all of the issues are included in the query, so that "to-ing
and fro-ing", with "Oh, I forgot to ask about...", is minimised, and,
also, using email shows exactly the response, and the addressing of each
of the points raised.

Also, if it occurs to a person at some time like 0300, to make whatever
queries, the person can then send the queries by email, rather than
hoping to remember both to phone to make the queries, and, the details
of the queries, when normal office hours occur the following office
hours day.

Also, if the person required to answer the query, happens to not be
available when the person being required to phone to make a query, makes
the phone call, more messing around, including playing "telephone tag",
can occur.

If ISP's respond to email, they would have many more "happy campers",
including satisfied customers, and, they would be providing service.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."