[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 21:43:08 WST 2004

> I'm a little confused as to how a forum's search would be better than
> what the combination of google on the web archives plus local mail
> client searching provide for mailing lists. The only ones I've tried to
> search, I've always given up on in frustration to go and use google with
> "site:" instead.

1) A "forum" (read: I like the NNTP concept) would be mostly localized content.
2) not everyone has such an understanding of how to use many of
google's better search functions, a search page on a forum is normally
instantly understandable to ANYONE (A very important fact)

Once again I'd like to state that a I too think that a "multi media
rich forum" would be a massive waste of time and resources that we
currently don't have.
I might be able to help in this area... but I'll have to think about
what I'd be willing to part with, anything i do part with would impair
my self education somewhat so It'll be akin to pulling teeth for me
:-P

--
Attacking Linus' integrity and character is like clubbing baby seals.
- PJ, Groklaw.net