[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 24 22:00:04 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 21:43, Senectus . wrote:
> > I'm a little confused as to how a forum's search would be better than
> > what the combination of google on the web archives plus local mail
> > client searching provide for mailing lists. The only ones I've tried to
> > search, I've always given up on in frustration to go and use google with
> > "site:" instead.

> 2) not everyone has such an understanding of how to use many of
> google's better search functions, a search page on a forum is normally
> instantly understandable to ANYONE (A very important fact)

Fair enough. I do think it's somewhat weakened by the ease of doing a
search form on a site that does a site-constrained Google search
automatically. The one James just added to the archives page is an
excellent example.

> Once again I'd like to state that a I too think that a "multi media
> rich forum" would be a massive waste of time and resources that we
> currently don't have.

You definitely won't catch me arguing with that. ".sig pics," animation,
"avatars," and anything else you can think of to reduce the density of
actual information...

--
Craig Ringer