[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 25 00:26:34 WST 2004

Steve Boak wrote:

> In my opinion, Web based forums are usually made to look nice, but the
> graphics tend to push up the bandwidth required to view them in an acceptable
> time.

Even without graphics, you still can't pre-load the lot like you can
with mail, you must wait for each page to load after you request it.
HTML is also (naturally) heavier than plain text, further pushing up
access times.

You also get the choice of POP (download it all locally then deal with
it when you feel like it), IMAP (store it server-side and pick and
choose) or webmail (like IMAP, but no local client needed, usually
inferior UI and facilities). I dislike the idea of people being deprived
of that choice.

> (OK for you broadband people - not so good for dialup and slow country
> lines). And of course not available off-line.

Yep. Or even on-line-but-locally-cached (unless you /like/ wget magic).

> The only forum I use occasionally is whirlpool, but usually on the end of
> google searches or when I am bored, and so far I haven't contributed there so
> I can't comment on how easy or hard that side of it is.

Heh. I think Whirlpool (and gaming forums) are major arguments _against_
web forums. SnR is awful, it's hard to read, etc. Then again, I have an
existing _strong_ mail preference that affects that view.

The oooforums.org site seems to be an interesting case of forums working
OK. I've repeatedly found genuinely useful info on them (with Google,
the built-in search is pretty poor), which is a new experience for me
when it comes to web forums.

I also think they're a more reasonable proposition once your alternative
is trying to tackle mail volumes like the OO.o Users mailing list (which
had _me_ unsubscribing because I couldn't keep up) than for a
medium-volume list like PLUG.

--
Craig Ringer