[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri Jun 25 00:13:17 WST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:22 pm, johnmorcos wrote:
[...]
> well thats about 8 different people that have responded to this
> question, id like to hear what the other plug members think.
>
> how many members are there?

OK - someone earlier mentioned around 300 members, so here's my 0.3333%
worth...

I like the current format.I prefer the minimal traffic of text-based mail, I
can browse messages offline, and it is much more efficient on the end of a
country phone line. I use KMail, filter all plug messages into an appropriate
folder, and toss messages older than one month. That means I have around 1000
messages in my plug folder on average, which is fine for searching on my
super-quiet fanless Via 500 Mhz machine.

BTW, that's KMail version 1.6.2 on Debian, and it's been rock solid so far
(fingers crossed :-) My only gripe is that you can't yet set an IMAP folder
as the destination for a filter. 'Coming Soon' they say. So for now I'm using
a local pop server, but it works well.

In my opinion, Web based forums are usually made to look nice, but the
graphics tend to push up the bandwidth required to view them in an acceptable
time.  (OK for you broadband people - not so good for dialup and slow country
lines). And of course not available off-line.

The only forum I use occasionally is whirlpool, but usually on the end of
google searches or when I am bored, and so far I haven't contributed there so
I can't comment on how easy or hard that side of it is.

Steve

--
"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill