[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jun 25 01:20:17 WST 2004

(John, it would be much appreciated if you could trim your quotes in
future.  Thank you.)

johnmorcos wrote:

| well thats about 8 different people that have responded to this
| question, id like to hear what the other plug members think.

Asking people on the PLUG mailing list whether they like mailing lists
is silly.

| 1. having a forum and a mailing list is a waste of time. have one or
| the other.

That's true, unless the forum and the mailing list are simply
different views of the same set of messages.

I'm wondering if Lurker + a way to post messages over the web would
keep the pro-forum people happy.

| 2. i don't want to store all that data locally on my machine what a
| waste of space and bandwidth if every user is accepting all those
| emails and storing them locally.

Rubbish.

| 3. a forum doesnt have to be media rich, it can very light and text
| based only.

Like a threaded mailing list archive?

Cameron.