[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jun 25 02:19:31 WST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, johnmorcos wrote:

> well thats about 8 different people that have responded to this
> question, id like to hear what the other plug members think.

One way to encourage feedback, would be to use punctuation and
appropriate upper case and lower case letters, to make the messages
readable. And, perhaps a spell checker, and proof reading. Last time I
looked, "id" was the deep subconscious of the mind, and, what was
regarded as responsible for the creation of the monsters that killed, in
"The Forbidden Planet", the only film of which I am aware of Leslie
Neilsen in a serious acting role.

And, do you want responses from PLUG members, or from subscribers to the
list? They are not necessarily the same,and more subscribers to the
list, probably exist, than PLUG members.

A mailing list is far more useful than a web-based forum. I have had
significant problems with some forums (fora?), including access ("you
need IE to use this forum" - now, that would be amusing for PLUG to
use...). Also, to access a forum, continuously, requires being
continuously logged into a forum, or, logging in and checking it from
time to time, then logging out, to end the session whereas using a
mailing list, just requires having an email application running.

As a person who subscribes to over a hundred mailing lists, I find PINE
to be quite good at dealing with them, and, filtering the messages into
the many folders, that are easy to peruse. The functionality in PINE,
that allows messages to be sorted as wanted, whether it be in order of
arrival, sorted by sender, sorted by subject, or sorted by thread, etc,
would cope with what you want, quite easily.

And, what do you do, with a forum, when you decide that it is
appropriate to reply to the poster of a message, rather than to the
forum as a whole? use email? Why not then, use email and a mailing list,
which makes responding to either the forum or to the poster of the
message to which the response is being made, much simpler?

It is a matter, I suppose, of how much you want to trade off efficiency
and ease of use, for gimmicky whistles and bells.

I would rather be able to easily and efficiently, read the messages and
respond to them.

Thus, using mailing lists and PINE, a solid and functional email
application, is the best solution, to me.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."