[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 25 08:59:01 WST 2004

Damned Kmail is trigger-happy... sorry for previous unedited
message.

On Friday 25 June 2004 07:03, Clare Johnstone wrote:
> This same feel exists on some Usenet newsgroups too, especially if
> read with Pine rather than a newsreader. This may seem odd to you,

I think that's simply a matter of using the right tool for a job. :-)

> but I am lazy about newsreaders, and dont have to do downloads to
> read news.  However I should mention that in recent years the
> noise level on newsgroups has risen alarmingly, and gatewaying to
> a newsgroup for that reason may be counter-productive.

If the newsgroup is moderated, then the SNR can remain quite usable;
even if moderation is only by having an email address through which
articles are automatically "approved" and posted. "Self-moderation"
can of course provide an alternative for by-passsing what would
effectively be a mail to news gateway... it works moderately well in
some newsgroups. (e.g. alt.sysadmin.recovery)