[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 25 14:31:31 WST 2004

William Kenworthy wrote:

> I have used news a lot in the past and find that for me it is a big turn
> off.  [snip]   Again, collects too much rubbish, address harvesting,
> difficulty in trying to find old posts after they have expired and so
> on.

I think those issues might be addressed by running a private NNTP server
for PLUG, rather than gatewaying to a larger service. I say _might_ - I
don't know enough to be sure. If a user must explicitly add the PLUG
NNTP server that'll help the address harvesting issue. A PLUG-private
server could also probably just keep all posts forever, as it wouldn't
have all that much to deal with. It might also help handle the rubbish a
bit.

Then again, I could be dead wrong on this. I'm just raising this for
discussion.

--
Craig Ringer