[plug] Low cost Embedded x86 Boards.

Dion tenzero at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 26 12:17:12 WST 2004

>> Obviously I need hardware thats linux supported.  But I only really
>> need two ethernet ports, one serial port, one ide socket and a
>> pentium class cpu like the Amd Elan and either an so-dimm socket or
>> around 64 meg ram.
>>
>> Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing??
>

> Yep.. Buy a mini-ITX, you will save a packet.
>
> the so-dimm style of units are expensive, sourced over seas only and
> need a relatively expensive base board.
> I bought a few of them a while ago for an R&D project but in the end
> found it much more cost effective to pick up a mini-ITX board with 12v
> PSU and build a CF->IDE adaptor.
>
> Regards,
> Brad

Thanks for the feedback Brad.  I was beginning to see the mini-itx units
as the most cost effective also.  Just seems like a large waste of a 500
- 800 Mhz cpu.  Oh well, maybe I can run an RC5-72 client in the background.

Cheers.
D.

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte