[plug] Low cost Embedded x86 Boards.

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jun 26 12:27:34 WST 2004

Dion wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback Brad.  I was beginning to see the mini-itx units
> as the most cost effective also.  Just seems like a large waste of a 500
> - 800 Mhz cpu.  Oh well, maybe I can run an RC5-72 client in the
> background.

Better still, leave it idle and take the fan off the heatsink.
My old 800MHz C3 based boards ran quite cool with no fan if the machine was idle most of the time
(which it was). I ended up whacking a thermistor on the heatsink and turning on the fan if it got to
hot (like a laptop) and found it never came on. It was nice having the safety margin though.

Regards,
Brad