[plug] Network card works yesterday, not today

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 26 12:35:33 WST 2004

I've been banging my head against this rather weird problem for a
while now with little success.

Last night, I installed Debian on a machine.  It detected the on-board
Nforce network card (using the forcedeth driver, which works perfectly
on two other machines I'm using it on), set everything up through
DHCP, installed Debian, rebooted and everything was working just fine.

This morning, I started the machine up and the network card refused to
talk to the rest of the world.  The orange link light isn't on, and
neither is the corresponding light on the switch, which made me think
it was a hardware problem, but the cable hasn't been touched and
stranger still, /it works under Windows/.  But under Linux, DHCP times
out and if I give it an IP by hand, it won't talk to the network
(can't ping, etc).

Where do you start trying to solve a problem like this?

Cameron.