[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 26 12:56:54 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <200406252237.22276 at death.2.spammers>
on Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 10:37:22PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> On Friday 25 June 2004 15:42, James Devenish wrote:
> > I don't know enough about open source daemons' access controls to
> > propose how to limit the read/post privileges to plug at plug
> > subscribers.
>
> RTFM :-)

As in "go on a crash course in Python and hack Mailman's internals some
more"? Well, I didn't think there was actually a manual about
interfacing Mailman's password handling in Python with arbitrary NNTP
servers. I did do a couple of quick Google searches, but I don't think I
chose the right keywords.

> > The greater flaw with the NNTP idea (although I would like to read
> > plug with my newsreader sometimes) is that it would not impose
> > forum-like 'categories'. Obviously, forum Categories would be
>
> Newsgroups.

Obviously. But my underlying assumption (which apparently /wasn't/
obvious) is that Mailman won't gate e-mail to/from arbitrary newsgroups.
Its built-in functionality does not provide such a thread-specific
feature: it's a one-to-one mapping between a list and a newgroup. In any
case, I would presume we would have to build our own regex.

> > useful for people looking to use the archives as their first point
> > of inquiry. The only way to really achieve this would be through
> > groups, yet I cannot imagine how the Mailman gating mechanisms
> > could cope with that. Also, categorisation could backfire: people
>
> This has all been done before; mail2news gateways have been around
> (almost) as long as Usenet. Multiple newsgroups map to multiple
> mailing lists;

Hi Bernd, we don't have multiple mailing lists. We have one: plug at plug.
(Well, there is also the off-topic list and the committee list, but I
think we were only discussing the problem of reading and archiving
plug at plug.)