[plug] Punctuation Linux Unix and Grammar

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Jun 28 18:40:06 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 17:07, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <20040628090042.GD8300 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
> on Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 05:00:42PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > Chris Caston wrote:
> > | Maybe people could (in IRC style) have their voice removed (not allowed
> > | to post) for a small period of time (maybe a few hours) if they post to
> > | much stuff that is off topic.
> > Maybe people should use the off-topic list to discuss topics which
> > aren't on topic for the main Plug list.
>
> The self-regulating [OT] subject-line designator seems to have been
> popular (for lack of complaints), although it didn't get used as much
> this month as it should have.

Of course this leaves the onus on the list subscriber to filter out
posts that have the [OT] prefix. Self-regulation is not a subject I know
a great deal about but I do assume that is self-regulation fails to work
then authoritative regulation is required. As far as self regulation
goes if there is one or two users sending to many OT's without prefixing
them correctly you could black list and filter all e-mails that match
their From address.