[plug] Debian Sarge & network problems

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 29 09:03:56 WST 2004

Hi all,

Given the recent complaints about the s/n ratio, I have decide break my
long silence on this list and to try and improve the situation with a
bit more signal ;-)

Over the weekend I blew away my XP and existing sarge installations and
decided to make a fresh start trying the new sarge installer (beta 4).
It gave me a few battles but it's much better than the old installer.
It still has a long way to go but it is getting there.

It didn't pick up the XP that I put back on, but I discovered that's a
know issue.  I'm almost tempted to leave it that way.

Given a few problems with the Gnome installation I also discovered I may
not dislike KDE as much as I used to.  As a long time gnome user this
has left me in a state of disconcertion.

My main problem however is getting the network to work.  For some reason
eth0 seems to be getting an ipv6 address (as is lo) but no ipv4
address.  It is set to use dhcpd but it can't get a connection.  using
ifup and ifdown with eth0 doesn't make any difference.  Where might the
ipv6 address be coming from?

/etc/network/interfaces looks fine:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

When I run /etc/init.d/networking restart I get:

Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Reconfiguring network interfaces...Internet Software Consortium DHCP
Client 2.0pl5
Coyright (and a heap of dates etc...)

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/eth0/(mac address)
Sending on LPF/eth0/(mac address)
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 on port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 on port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 on port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 on port 67 interval 20
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 on port 67 interval 10
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working lease in persistent database

Exiting.

Failed to bring up eth0.
Done.

If I set the interface to be statically configured, it works fine.  I
can ping my own network card but that then leaves me with the final part
of the problem.  Even when I set the default gateway and the route table
looks good, I can't ping past my own ipadddress.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim Bowden

--