[plug] Hack, triplej and open source

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jun 30 22:57:23 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 22:25, Alex Polglaze wrote:
> > I'm assuming that most missed it, but on Hack today, there was a piece
> > on Bill Gate's 'donation', and it went onto an interview with the
> > Democrats' IT man, and how governments should turn to open source, etc.
> > If someone else was listening, I'm should they could explain it much
> > better or even provide some kind of link!
>
> I saw the bit on Channel 10 news last night and at the end the reporter said
> something like "... it was lucky for Bill Gates that he was only spending one
> day in Australia and didn't have time to talk to all of the business men who
> were fed up with unstable systems and software with security holes ...", or
> words to that effect.

Interesting though that from an entrepreneurs perspective. Where there's
problems there's an opportunity to make money. If the world was perfect
that would be terrible.

A big algae bloom in a river for instance is an opportunity for company
to put in a bid to make a fortune cleaning it up.

I was talking to the guy that distributes Kaskersky(sp?) AV in Australia
and he said that he'd just made his first million.

You can easily make a living patching the holes in Windows but it won't
last forever. Just make sure you're ready to move to customer to Linux
when they are.