[plug] my Linux is too young! Need older "tail" and "head"

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 30 23:13:27 WST 2004

Hello, Craig.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Earlier, I wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you're not running into another issue - for example, a
> > shell-provided 'tail' that takes different syntax? Have you tried
> > '/bin/sh /path/to/install/script.sh' to see if that helps?
>
> Nope, it looks like Cameron has it pinned down. Sorry for the noise.

I don't think noise comes into it :-)   You mentioned the executable
nature of the libc and I had a look at my Gentoo installation.   The
symlink is set executable and when I, as a normal user, invoke
/lib/libc.so.6 I too get rewarded with interesting info.

If anyone is interested the full line of code that extracts the version
number is

ver='/lib/libc.so.6 | head -1 | sed -e "s/^[^0-9]*//" -e "s/[ ,].*$//"'

For me that should return 2.3.3

With my too-young "head", I get
head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1' since this will be removed in
the future
2.3.3

I'm going to try the POSIX... first thing in the morning!

Cheers and thanks,
Denis