[plug] Document Builder?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Mar 2 10:09:30 WST 2004

I'm on a quest to find a way of creating and maintaining a document in a
format which can be manipulated and used in different ways. While I could
write such a system myself, it would be easier (and preferred by the
higher-ups) if we could use something standards-based.

Features desired include:
 *Strong Hierarchical document structure (headings, sub-headings, etc...)
 *Conversion to printable format
 *Versatile HTML/Web browsable format
 *Easy to edit (preferrably with a Web interface; preferrably not custom
client software - although would be acceptable if cross-platform) for
non-technical users

I'm just perusing the "DocBook" site currently (since XML is the obvious
solution), although my eyes tend to glaze over when I hit a DTD. There
doesn't seem to be (m)any mature easy to use editors for it either.

Any suggestions/ideas? Or should I just give in & write my own?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |