[plug] Access control for USB ports

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 3 15:26:41 WST 2004

---- Original Message ----
From: bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Access control for USB ports
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:10:24 +0800

>On Wednesday 03 March 2004 15:00, Stephen Boak wrote:
>
>> I just had a situation where someone waltzed in and stuck a USB
>> flash disk in one of my machines!
>>
>> Is there some way of controlling or password protecting the
>> actual ports, to stop the use of flash disks but still allowing
>> access to USB keyboard and/or mouse?
>
>Sure; the USB stick will appear as /dev/sd? when mounted.
>
>Either don't auto-mount or restrict permissions on the mount.

Sorry - brain must have been out of gear to not think of that. Runs
off to read the hotplug manual...

>> I would also welcome suggestions on how to do the same thing on
>> Windows machines as I have to run both OSs at the moment.
>
>A very large hammer fixes Windows; permanently.

'They' won't let me do that - Tafe says we have to use it to run
their courses :(  Besides, I'd rather do it with a very large magnet
- less damage to the otherwise useful hardware, and there would then
magically be more space to install Linux :))

Steve