[plug] Access control for USB ports

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed Mar 3 17:01:46 WST 2004

On the Windows side just turn off the usb setting except keyboard and mouse in the BIOS.  On some BIOS you have the options of turning on/off usb port and then there are usb keyboard and mouse settings that are separate.

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> sboak at westnet.com.au 3:00:09 pm 3/03/2004 >>>
Hi all

I just had a situation where someone waltzed in and stuck a USB flash
disk in one of my machines!

Is there some way of controlling or password protecting the actual
ports, to stop the use of flash disks but still allowing access to
USB keyboard and/or mouse?

I initialy thought of fstab, but I guess that won't work because of
the dynamic nature of USB devices. Anyone know of a (preferrably
Debian) package to do the job?

I would also welcome suggestions on how to do the same thing on
Windows machines as I have to run both OSs at the moment.

I know restricting physical access is the best method, but
impractical in my current office/classroom environment.

Thanks

Steve